Just one more chemo to go!

The finish line is in sight - next week is my last chemo!


Can you believe that the end is almost here? I can't either, but I am so excited it's here. I am holding up well and my spirits are much brighter than they have been in a while now that I can see the finish line. Can you believe I've been doing this since mid-March? It feels like a bit of a time warp... I feel kind of like Rip Van Winkle - about to step out into a world that has changed a bit since I last saw it. Or maybe I am the one who changed!? Probably more like I have changed. 

Speaking of changes, I got a haircut from Tim and I feel like a new woman! At about week 2 of my Paclitaxel I started to see a 5 o'clock shadow on my temples and knew my hair was starting to come in. This lifted my spirits for sure - I was tired of looking like Gollum! I didn't realize how quickly my hair would grow in and I am now sporting a full head of short hair! Although I had hoped to keep the long hair I started out with, that was not to be. But I am still walking out of this journey with hair, much more than I would have had if I had not capped. Because of that, I've decided that cold capping worked for me! 

Tim and I are now sporting matching haircuts - mine is a bit more fluffy than his. No more bandanas or hats mandatory. I think I am going to give the wig that I didn't use away to a non-profit for someone who cannot afford one.  I have also started to stuff a bag to pass along to another breast cancer patient as a way to say that they are loved and will make it through. One of those was given to me by my nurse and it was a wonderful gift to get from a stranger. 

Now that we have done everything we can to knock down the breast cancer, I need to tackle the next most pressing cancer issue which is ovarian cancer. Then on to the double mastectomy and reconstruction... at this point we think all of this should be over by next February. That feels really far away! I have already put my first surgery on the books in September. Reproductive annihilation here I come! My friend Beth thought that would be a great name for a band... no stealing that name!

Just a few more weeks of hunkering down to protect my immune system and then I think I can reintegrate back out into life. I am really looking forward to that, and am trying to find a way to get tested for COVID antibodies to see if my vaccination held up through the bombardment that my immune system has taken over the past 5 months. I think hearing that I have the antibodies will make me feel a lot better about getting back out and about. Case numbers for COVID here in San Antonio are doubling weekly now that the Delta variant is spreading in the community. Thank you for continuing to mask up, regardless of if you are or are not vaccinated. It helps to keep me safe which is huge as I strive to cross the finish line with chemo treatment. 

Sending love, hugs and a reason to celebrate!

Nicole


Popular posts from this blog

Chemo complete! Now time to take a break...

Information about Tim "Donnie" Walberg's Retirement

Good news - No Radiation Necessary!