The fight is on again, this time with breast cancer.
So this blog has been underutilized for several years. But since I have held on to it for posterity sake, I figured I would use this to start a new series of posts to catch family and friends up regarding my latest chapter in life: breast cancer.
Many of you already know that I battled cancer while in college. Luckily that cancer has not reoccured, and I have been free of my pilocytic astrocytoma for over 20 years now. But, cancer seems to be a sucker for a good fight, and this time for me, it is in the form of invasive ductal carcinoma.
We're in the early stages of figuring out a treatment plan and meeting with doctors right now. That means I don't have much information for you. The things that we do know are:
- My tumor is hormone receptive (both ER and PR positive). This is great because I have a few more therapy options available for my treatment plan.
- It's an invasive tumor, but it's small and is at a low stage because of its size. This is good because there's a chance that it has not sent cancer cells to my lymph nodes yet. Fingers crossed on that one.
We're waiting to determine if it's HER2 positive or negative and if I have the BRCA 1 or BRCA2 gene. Both of the tests' results will influence what kind of treatment I will receive and how aggressive that treatment will be. Regardless of either of these things, there's at least some surgery and radiation in my future. We should know more about my test results and treatment plan in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, Tim and I are feeling good about the path forward, even though it involves some procedures and a long-term treatment plan. I am ready for this fight - Cancer chose the wrong woman, again.
On a somewhat related note: For those of you who remember that Tim also had a cancer battle of his own- you'll be thrilled to know that he received a flight waiver and is in requal training to fly the C-17 again. This is a momentous thing for us, and we feel so blessed that he could get back into the jet. Thank you to everyone who helped make it possible. We'll be relocating to the northwest again as soon as my medical situation is stable.
Take care, be safe, and wear your mask to help protect cancer patients like me!
With love,
Nicole & Tim